6 cooking apples (about 2lb.) peeled, quartered and cored
2 tablespoons water
150g fresh brown breadcrumbs
75g unsalted butter, diced
100g light soft brown sugar
2 eggs, forked to blend
Grated rind of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons quince jam or marmalade
Pinch of ground cloves
Caster sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to Gas mark 4, 180°C, 350° F.
- Slice apples and simmer to a pulp with the water in a lidded pan.
- Remove the lid and shake over heat until dry.
- Put half the breadcrumbs in a bowl and stir in the hot apples, sugar, half the butter cut in bits, forked up eggs, lemon rind, quince jam or marmalade and the ground cloves.Mix well.
- Butter an 18 inch square baking tin and spread with a layer of half the remaining bread crumbs. Cover with the apple mixture, top with rest of breadcrumbs and dot with remaining bits of butter. Bake for an hour until soft, brown and billowy. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Cut into squares and serve with thick Devonshire cream.
firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you in anticipation.