450g/1lb cooked meat e.g. lamb, pork, turkey or ham
450g/1lb cooked boiled potatoes, crushed into lumps
1 small bunch of parsley, leaves only, finely chopped (optional)
1 large onion finely chopped
40g/1.5ozs fresh breadcrumbs
1 medium egg
Nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste
1 beaten egg
flour and extra breadcrumbs for coating
2 tbsp oil
- Fry the onion in butter until soft and golden.
- Flake or chop cooked meat and mix with potatoes, parsley, onion, breadcrumbs, egg and seasoning. The mixture should be a firm consistency, not mushy.
- Form into 12 flat cakes and roll in flour, beaten egg and extra breadcrumbs. (They can be rolled in flour only, but do not get as crispy.) These can be prepared a few hours in advance, covered in cling film and kept in the fridge.
- In a large frying, pan melt the oil and butter until it foams. Add the rissoles and fry gently for 7-10 minutes on both sides until crispy and golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm until served with mustard sauce.
275ml/10fl.oz whipping cream
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
3-4 dashes Tabasco
- In a small saucepan heat the cream gently and whisk in mustard and Tabasco.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes until it is a custard-like consistency.
Serve rissoles and mustard sauce with side dish of peas, beans or sweetcorn.