250g self-raising flour
1 medium eating apple, peeled, cored, and grated
250g demerara sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
50 pecans, roughly chopped
100mls maple syrup
2 teaspoons mixed spice
Zest and juice of one small orange
3 large eggs
250g parsnips, peeled and grated
Icing sugar to serve
for the filling:
3-4 tablespoon Maple syrup
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan, gas mark 4.
- Line two 20 cm sandwich tins.
- Melt butter and maple syrup in a pan over gentle heat, then cool slightly.
- Whisk the eggs in, then stir in rest of the ingredients.
- Divide between the tins and bake for 20-25 minutes until tops spring back when slightly touched.
- Cool the cakes slightly in the tins before turning out to cool completely.
- Just before serving mix together the mascarpone and maple syrup.
- Spread over one cake and sandwich with the other.
- Dust with icing sugar.