Makes 2 jars (900 mls in total).
Before starting to cook
Put 2-3 saucers in the freezer.
Sterilise 2 x 450mi jars and lids:
- wash in soapy water or the dishwasher.
- Fill the jars with boiling water, empty and then put in oven until the jam is made at 140degs C.
- Put the lids in boiling water and leave to drain.
800g raspberries rinsed and dried
700g granulated sugar
5 tablespoons lemon juice
- Put the raspberries, sugar and lemon juice into a preserving pan or similar.
- Place pan over a gentle heat, stirring occasionally, until all the sugar crystals have dissolved. You can usually tell by running a wooden spoon over the bottom of the pan.
- Bring the pan to a rolling boil and time for 7 minutes.
- Take pan off the heat and place a few drops of jam onto a chilled saucer.
- Place saucer in fridge for about a minute.
- Test the set by running your finger through the jam, if it forms a crinkle and is gel like then the jam is ready to pot up.
- If the jam isn’t ready, continue boiling for another 2 minutes at a time and re-test until ready (mine took 9 minutes).
- Use a small ladle to pot up the jam in sterilised jars and seal with lids immediately
Store in a cool dark place and refrigerate once opened
The Tidy Gardener