The road known as The Newlands is built on the site of the now demolished house of the same name. In 1768 the house was described as Frenchay Inn or Frenchay Coffee House and in 1782 was recorded as the New Inn, occupied by James Maule, Land Surveyor.
There was also an inn in the house which is now called Frenchay Common Cottage. It was run by Joseph Norgrove as a “private inn” from 1857. 10 years later he moved to a terrace of 3 cottages a few doors away and converted them to become The White Lion.
In 1899 it was acquired by Georges Brewery who pulled it down and put up the present building.