What is Bara Brith (pronounced Bara Breeth, rhymes with teeth)? It is a very traditional Welsh tea time treat especially for March 1st. There are many different recipes. This is mine.
75g packet dried cranberries
400g dried mixed fruit
1 large mug of strong black tea (3 tea bags )
100g butter and a little more for greasing tin
2 heaped tablespoons orange marmalade
2 eggs beaten
450g self raising flour
175g light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
4 tablespoons milk
50g granulated sugar for dusting
- Mix fruit in bowl and pour strong hot tea into mixture. Stir well and leave overnight
- Preheat oven to 160c, gas mark 4
- Grease 2lb. loaf tin and line bottom with baking parchment
- Gently heat marmalade and butter in saucepan. Leave to cool for 5 minutes. Beat in eggs
- Drain fruit and mix well with sugar, spice and flour
- Add the butter, egg and marmalade mixture as well as the milk. Mix together until you get a nice even mixture
- Spoon this into prepared tin. Sprinkle top surface with granulated sugar
- Cook in a preheated oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes until golden brown
- Test with skewer. If clean, Bara Brith is ready
- Leave to cool completely in tin. Then slice and serve buttered or plain.
ENJOY! CAN BE STORED IN CAKE TIN FOR ONE WEEK ....IF POSSIBLE!!!