This recipe was found by my husband during lockdown and he produced it one glorious day for lunch outside as a surprise. It is simple but really delicious and we have had it several times over the last couple of months. Serves 2.
Half a good sized red onion - finely chopped
2 tbsp small capers - chopped
1 stick of celery - finely chopped
A medium handful of parsley - roughly chopped
1 tin of sardines in oil (adding a little more olive oil if needed)
2 dessert spoons of good quality mayonnaise
2 slices of sourdough for toast
Small lettuce and tomato salad to serve.
- Put the prepared onion, capers, celery and parsley in a bowl and mix together well.
- Add the oil from the sardines and the mayonnaise and mix everything well.
- Toast the sourdough and spread the sardines onto the toast.
- Spoon the prepared mixture on top of the sardines and garnish with a sprig of parsley.
- Serve with a small lettuce and tomato salad on the side and enjoy!