This is a quick and easy dessert for a supper party and looks very pretty served in individual goblets, wine glasses or small bowls. Serves 4-6.
1 large lemon
4 fl oz. dry or medium white wine
3-4 tablespoons of caster sugar
10 fl oz. carton of double cream (I use Elmlea)
chopped pistachio nuts or crushed pralines to decorate
- Grate the rind delicately off the lemon so there is no trace of pith.
- Put in a bowl with the lemon juice, wine and 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- Leave to infuse for an hour or so, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- Strain out the lemon rind just before using.
- Put into a large mixing bowl and gradually add the cream, whisking steadily until the mixture stands in peaks.
- Taste and add more sugar if necessary.
- Spoon the syllabub into individual goblets, glasses or bowls
- Chill in the fridge if there is time. It can be served immediately or left overnight.
- Decorate with chopped pistachio or crushed pralines and serve with French tulle biscuits.