Luscious cream filled layers with tangy fruits. Simple to make and will impress.
8oz /225g plain flour
2tsp /10ml baking powder
a pinch of salt
2oz /50g caster sugar
3oz /75g chopped butter
5fl oz /150ml double or whipping cream
1lb /450g strawberries or other berries
- Preheat oven to Mark 5 /375 F /190 C and grease 2x8ins/20cm sandwich tins.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Stir in caster sugar and rub in butter to give a course consistency.
- Stir in sufficient milk to form a soft springy dough.
- Divide dough equally in two. Roll out lightly or press with knuckles evenly into base of tins.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch. Turn out carefully and allow to cool on wire rack.
- Whip cream until it is stiff enough to hold its shape.
- Place one shortcake upside down on serving plate and spread with 3/4 of cream and fruit. Reserve one or two pieces for decoration.
- Top with second shortcake, right side up. Pipe on remaining cream and decorate with fruit.