2 lbs. runner beans
4-5 med. onions
1.5 lbs. demerara sugar
1.5 tbsp turmeric powder (or 1 according to taste)
1.5 tbsp English mustard powder (or 1 according to taste)
1.5 tbsp cornflour
1.5 pints malt vinegar
- Peel onions and cut small.
- Slice beans and boil together with onions in salted water until both are tender.
- Strain and drain well then cut up small or put through mincer.
- Add sugar and 1 pint vinegar and boil for 15 minutes.
- Mix turmeric, mustard and cornflour with the remaining vinegar and add to the bean and onions.
- Boil for another 15 minutes. Keep stirring. The mixture will thicken at this stage and will stick to pan if not stirred.
- Allow to cool and put in clean, sterilised, warm, dry jars.
Can be eaten at once, but is best left for 6 weeks and will keep for months. Keep in a dark, cool cupboard.