In 1941 the Randall family, who owned a timber yard in Fishponds, gave an 8 acre field to the National Trust. They donated it in memory of their daughter who had died in Canada. She had emigrated with her husband and lived on a remote farm. Medical help was unable to reach her in time and she died in childbirth. Her body was brought back to Bristol and she was buried in her tennis dress.