Malmains was built by William Perry in the 1770s. He sold it to Edward Harford who used it as a summer residence – his main home was in Queens Square. The Harford family continued to own it until 1857. John Scandrett Harford entertained William Wilberforce and Hannah More during his ownership.
When it was demolished a row of houses was built in its place including Ilex House, Belsay, Ravensdale and another house called Malmains.
Between Beckspool Road and the row of houses there is a shrubbery which hides the original cellars of Malmains which are still intact.
A photograph of the original Malmains can be seen in Frenchay Village Museum.