The stone was described in Matthews Bristol Guide of Bristol 1794 as “a curiosity – a giant mussel”. It was probably placed in the double elm tree avenue by Joseph Beck. It is actually a lump of weathered pennant stone and came out of a quarry in Downend.
When the houses in Riverwood Road were built number 1 was a shop. The stone was moved to the garden and remained there for many years. The last owner of 1 Riverwood Road has recently moved to The Shrubbery at the top of Frenchay Hill and took the stone with him.