submitted by Hazel Wyatt ...
I tasted this at a fund raising American Lunch. Every guest brought a savoury or sweet dish.
Printed recipes were brought with the food and these were sold for 50p. It was an easy way to raise extra funds on the day.
8oz dates chopped
2oz walnuts chopped
4 fluid oz oil
4oz self-raising flour
- Whip egg and sugar together
- Add oil and beat
- Stir in dates and walnuts, mix well
- Fold in sieved flour and salt, beat well
- Cook in a 7in square lined tin for 40 minutes at 180C (350F/Gas mark 4)
- Cool for 10 minutes in tin
- Cut up and roll in icing sugar