1 clove garlic
¼ pint / 0.15 litres dry white wine
8 oz / 225 g Cheddar cheese (grated)
8 oz / 225 g Gruyère cheese (grated)
1 teaspoon cornflour
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon castor sugar
1 tablespoon kirsch
½ teaspoon dry mustard
freshly ground black pepper
- Rub the inside of a fondue pan with the cut clove of garlic.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of wine and heat the rest gently in the pan.
- Add the cheeses and stir until melted.
- Mix the reserved wine with the cornflour, lemon juice, sugar, kirsch, mustard and black pepper.
- Stir into the fondue and cook until thickened.
Serve with sticks of celery, carrot, and cubes of French bread to pierce with a fork and dip into the fondue. (If you lose your bread in the fondue, you traditionally provide the next bottle of wine!)