Impress your friends with this easy and delicious dish. I cooked three legs of lamb for Frenchay neighbours a few weeks ago and fed 40 easily. Look out for supermarket offers for legs of lamb, often very good value!
1. De-bone and flatten 'butterfly' your leg of lamb. You can get the butcher to do this, or if you prefer to do it yourself just check out YouTube.
2. Marinade overnight. Here are two of my favourite marinades:
- Finely chop the following ingredients by hand or in a blender: garlic-1 bulb; rosemary-1 large handful; chillies - 2 or 3 (optional); ground pepper to taste. Mix with 1/2 to 1 cup of olive oil.
- Mix lots of fresh mint or rosemary (with stalks left on) with olive oil.
3. Remember to salt the lamb before cooking
4. When your barbecue is hot put the lamb skin side down AND COVER. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes then turn. Cook for a further 5 minutes UNCOVERED. If you are cooking over charcoal and the barbecue catches fire COVER the lamb.
5. Remove from the heat and let it rest for 10 minutes - cover with foil. Carve like a Sunday roast joint.
Serve in warm pitta breads with salad. Don't forget the chilli sauce or garlic mayo. ENJOY!