He came to Bristol in 1884 and in 1898 bought Cliff Court, Frenchay. He lived there until it was sold and demolished to build Cliff Court Drive in the 1950s. The family then moved to Bradfords House next door to the former vicarage. His entire career was spent in education as HM Inspector.
He retired in 1912 but led a busy life for many years after. His book on the history of Frenchay was published in 1936, and has come to be recognized as the most important and comprehensive history of Winterbourne. It is available to buy at Frenchay Museum. Charles died in 1943 and was buried in Frenchay Parish Graveyard.
Charles Elliott and his wife Annie Beatrice had two daughters, Mary – known as Molly – and Nancy.
Molly was born on 1 March 1896. Her life was spent in Frenchay and she interested herself in all kinds of local activities. She became the first woman church warden in 1940, a post she held successfully for 22 years.
She helped to run the Girls Friendly Society (GFS) and in 1927, Molly and four of her GFS friends toured the Lake District in a motorised caravan named Princess Mary. Her record of the trip and photographs of the caravan are on display in the museum. Molly died in March 1978 and is buried in Frenchay Parish Graveyard.
Nancy was born on 23 October 1897. Like her sister, Molly, she joined the Volunteer Aid Detachment during the Great War and worked as a nurse in the Military Hospital at Cleve Hill, Downend. She served on the Parochial Council for many years and was active in the GFS.
She died in July 1984 and was buried in the Frenchay Parish Graveyard.