There was once a house called Begbrook at the end of Sterncourt Road next to the Beg, or By, Brook. The residents were able to go to the large house, Oldbury Court, on the other side of the river by a bridge across the river Frome. It was bought by Mr Hugh Coles in 1896 and he lived there until 1912. It was then unoccupied for 2 years until it was burned down in 1914. It was rumoured locally the suffragettes had burned it down although the culprits were never caught. Photographs of the burnt out shell are part of the postcard collection in Frenchay Village Museum.
The derelict house was conveyed to Mr Harry Graeme Vassall who built another house. This was later used as a children’s home. It was finally demolished and the present nursing home built in its place.